This wonderful photograph from the Malcolm Turk Collection, is a potted history. There is so much information contained.
The first question is Where is It? That’s easy. Pearson’s Cycle Works later became The Central Garage in Cinque Ports he building that was demolished in 2002 “In readiness for a library to be built.” Continue reading The Last Rye MP-Notepad
The Pubs of Rye no. 8.
The Cinque Ports Arms Assembly Room, Cinque Ports Street.
by David Russell.
The foundation stone for the Cinque Ports Assembly Room was laid in August 1868, and within three months it was open as an integral part of the Cinque Ports Arms. The Assembly Room, which was 50 by 25 feet [15.24m x 7.62m], extended the frontage of the pub to a total of 141 feet [43m], making it one of the largest licensed premises in Rye. Continue reading Inns Of The Cinque Ports
By David Russell
Little early history of the Borough Arms has come to light. What is known is that by the end of the 16th century it was known by the sign of the ‘Blue’ or ‘Blew Anchor’. Continue reading The Pubs of Rye no. 6
The Pubs of Rye No. 4
The Globe Inn
by David Russell
The Globe opened in 1834 when a 50 year lease on this piece of land was granted to John Wheeler by the Reverend Lamb of Iden. John Wheeler, a beer retailer, then became the Globe’s first landlord. The lease included the cliff behind the pub which descends from Playden Heights, with its ‘pendants [overhanging parts] being part and parcel of the property’. A fairly large cave in the face of the cliff was also included in the lease. The annual rent was £127. Continue reading The Globe Inn – Rye
East Sussex, 1750-1950 by David Russell
Published in October 2012 The Pubs of Rye gives the history of 32 Rye pubs (and one cinema) which existed at sometime between 1750 and 1950. When researching this book I collected information from the National Archive which contains many records of Rye and its licensed premises. Continue reading The Pubs of Rye