Four arrests after Bexhill attack – witnesses sought
Four men have been arrested after a violent incident at a flat in Bexhill.
At about 4.25pm on Saturday (25 February) two men, aged 29 and 23, were attacked at a flat in London Road, Bexhill, by several men who entered, one of whom was holding what appeared to be firearm of some kind.
The two men were tied up and the flat was searched but nothing is known to have Continue reading Four Bexhill Men Arrested on Suspicion of Agrevated Burglary
Two charged with robbing sunken warship in English Channel
Two men have been charged in connection with the alleged removal of items from a sunken Royal Navy warship in the English Channel.
HMS Hermes was a protected cruiser built in the late 19th century and converted into an aircraft ferry and depot ship ready for the outbreak of the First World War.
It was sunk by a German submarine in the Dover Strait in October 1914 with the loss of 44 lives.
Officers from Kent Police’s Rural Task Force launched an investigation in August 2015 after being informed that a number of historical artefacts had been reported missing from the wreck.
John Blight, 57, of Old River Way in Winchelsea, East Sussex, has now been charged with three counts of dishonestly failing to disclose items of wreck to the Receiver of Wreck with intent to make a gain.
Nigel Ingram, 56, of London Road, Teynham, has been charged with the same three counts in addition to being in possession of £16,000 worth of criminal property.
Both men have been bailed to appear before Margate magistrates on Thursday 2 March 2017.
The investigation into the alleged offences was carried out in partnership with the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, the Marine Management Organisation, the Receiver of Wreck, Sussex Police, Historic England and the French authorities.
Continue reading Winchelsea Man Charged with Robbing Sunken Warship
By John Hodges
The first reference to the name Silver Hill, it was spelt as two words until about 1865, occurs in 1783 when High Ridge Farm changed its name to that of Silver Hill Farm. The name next occurs in 1813 when the name of Silver Hill Mill first appears on the ordnance survey map, but little more is heard of this mill until 1838 when John Harmer brought to the site one of the mills that had stood on the West Hill. Despite a series of catastrophes and subsequent reconstructions this old mill struggled on until 1966 when the crumbling structure was finally Continue reading The Clarence Hotel Silverhill
80 Years Ago in Hastings
By Roland Jempson
On April 1st 1928 Hastings experienced a new type of public transport. The opening of the towns new Trolleybus system, it was inaugurated by four of the newly delivered GUY BTX 60 Trolleybuses Nos 1, 2, 3 and 4 with Christopher Dodson open top bodies, on the No 4 route, Hollington to the Fish Market via Bohemia Road and The Memorial, replacing the Trams on the part of the route to the Memorial (Trams did not operate to the Fish Market or Old Town). One of the Trolleybuses was even driven by Mr Vincent Edwards the Manager, The First four were decorated with Flags and Bunting, and had as passengers invited guests and Ex Servicemen. Continue reading The Hastings Trolley Busses
In next month’s issue Roland Jempson explores the history of the Hastings & St. Leonards Trollybus era from spectacular beginnings final eclipse. The picture above portrays the bustle around the Albert Memorial soon after the new trollybus service came into operation. Continue reading When the Trollybus was King