Hastings Pier- The Early Days


 Illustrated with pictures from Ion Castro’s collection

Hastings Pier was opened by the Earl of Granville, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports on the fifth of April 1872, which coincidentally was the country’s first ever Bank Holiday. Work had started on the pier on the 18th of December 1869 by the famous engineer Eugenius Birch and was modelled on Brighton’s West Pier with its timber deck supported on columns of cast iron screw piles in rows of three, the outer columns angled for greater stability. Continue reading Hastings Pier- The Early Days


Hastings Will Never Be Poor

In these times of “Impending doom”, as we are led to believe by our politicians, it is nice to report that “Hastings Town”, the magazine and the town itself, are coming along nicely and bucking the trend. Continue reading Editorial