New Flagstaff Dedicated at Rye Harbour
Saturday, 6th October, saw the climax of two year’s hard work by craftsmen of Rye Harbour Village, using traditional tools, under the leadership of Mr. Alec Coleman, when Rural Dean, the Rev. J. E. R. Williams, Vicar of Rye Harbour, dedicated the new Rye Harbour flagstaff, 7l ft. high, made from a tree donated by Messrs. Alsfords, with rigging from Mr. Dick Merricks and pennants from Mr. L. Woolley. A commemorative plaque was unveiled by Mr. Edwards, junior, of Alsfords (Flimwell Branch) who mentioned that the flagstaff had been selected from “short list” of a hundred larch trees at Flimwell. At the same time the Red Ensign was hoisted to the yard by Mr. Gerry Blattman to applause from the resolute onlookers, who defied a maritime drizzle and were subsequently refreshed with tea and cakes at the yacht club, dispensed by Mrs. J. Pope, H. Ford, A. Coleman, and helpers. The flagpole, since 1912, has been a symbol of Rye Harbour’s identity and aspirations.
“Rye’s Own” November 1973
All articles, photographs and drawings on this web site are World Copyright Protected. No reproduction for publication without prior arrangement. © World Copyright 2015 Cinque Ports Magazines Rye Ltd., Guinea Hall Lodge Sellindge TN25 6EG