Above: Two Rye Barges, They were built in Rye shipyards and worked the Rother, Tillingham and Brede, getting as far as Bodiam, delivering all manner of loose goods.
Below: The Viscount of Coleville’s Motor Barge Yacht passing through the moorings at Rye Harbour in the summer of 1923. The Barge, which was launched at the Rock Channel Yard on 5 March 1923, was returning from sea trials with the Viscount himself at the helm.
“Rye’s Own” November 2004
All articles, photographs and drawings on this web site are World Copyright Protected. No reproduction for publication without prior arrangement. © World Copyright 2017 Cinque Ports Magazines Rye Ltd., Guinea Hall Lodge Sellindge TN25 6EG