Garage Fire at Winchelsea

Mechanic Overcome by Fumes

Fire broke out at a local garage at lunch time on Monday  (26th. August).
The fire, which started in a small office at the Sandrock Garage, Gardener’s Motors Ltd, Winchelsea, soon spread to an adjoining servicing bay. 

Two appliances from Rye were quickly on the scene and prevented what might have been a serious outbreak.

Mr Stunt is Helped Away from the Building
Mr Stunt is Helped Away from the Building


Mr. Bill Stunt, a mechanic at the garage, was overcome by smoke in an attempt to put Out the fire, He was helped away from the building and given oxygen from one of the firemen’s breathing sets.

The office and service bay suffered considerable damage.

“Rye’s Own” September 1968

All articles, photographs and drawings on this web site are World Copyright Protected. No reproduction for publication without prior arrangement. © World Copyright 2015 Cinque Ports Magazines Rye Ltd., Guinea Hall Lodge Sellindge TN25 6EG