There was another Camber Tram – in the Falkland Islands. A commemorative set of stamps, pictured right, were issued in 1986.
Why steam line was called The Camber Railway is a bit of a mystery, could it have taken its name from the Camber Tram, named by some ex patriot of this area involved with the building of the line? More likely it was built on a ‘camber’.
Soldiers serving in the Falklands Conflict reported that some of the track still exists but the engines, which bore a remarkable likeness to Camber & Victoria, were gone.
The line ran from Port Stanley along the coast to Moody Brook and was probably built by the Royal Marines who had a base there.
The two locomotives were built by Kerr Stuart and Co. Ltd. of Stoke on Trent. They belonged to their “Wren” class; the smallest standard made almost exclusively for 24″ gauge.
The Railway fell into disuse in the second half of the 1920’s and ran for the final time in 1927.
From August 2000 Issue of “Rye’s Own”
All articles, photographs and drawings on this web site are World Copyright Protected. No reproduction for publication without prior arrangement. © World Copyright 2015 Cinque Ports Magazines Rye Ltd., Guinea Hall Lodge Sellindge TN25 6EG