Two Rye Fires, 50 Years Apart
A picture paints 1000 words. The photograph at the foot of the page was taken by local photographer, C. H. Axell. It shows, in great detail, the Rye Fire Brigade of 1912 coping with the aftermath of a blaze at Harvey’s builders premises in South Undercliff.
The other photographs are before and during scenes when fire devastated
the Central Garage in Cinque Ports Street in 1960. The fire was at it’s height when the first picture was taken. It was a great tribute to Rye Fire Service that the whole block was not burnt to the ground.
Rye’s Own May 2006
All articles, photographs and drawings on this web site are World Copyright Protected. No reproduction for publication without prior arrangement. © World Copyright 2015 Cinque Ports Magazines Rye Ltd., Guinea Hall Lodge Sellindge TN25 6EG