Use that Camera

Use That Camera

Photography, along with angling, is rated as one of the two most popular hobbies in the world. With this in mind, Rye’s Own presents this article on the popular pastime.

Easter is a good time to start recording the events of the year, although a real enthusiast may use his camera all the year round. The town of Rye offers an unlimited range of photographic subjects from the more popular ones such as the Church, the Landgate and the Ypres Tower, to the less obvious but equally interesting shots that can be taken on many walks in the surrounding country-side. Continue reading Use that Camera

Rye’s Own April 1966 Bits

Artisans Dine

A hundred Golfers and guests spent a pleasant evening at the Annual Dinner and Dance of the Rye Artisans Golf Club, which was held at the George Hotel on Friday. The guests included prominent members of the Rye Golf Club.

Artisans Dinner Rye's Own April 1966
Artisans Dinner Rye’s Own April 1966

Continue reading Rye’s Own April 1966 Bits

Down Rye Way – April 1966 – Robert Bayley

by J.P.H.

Pushed Handcart to Battle before Breakfast

Robert Bayley was born in Rye on the 19 November, 1886 at the Mint, where he grew up. When he was a small boy his father was a sailor. Bob still remembers the good hidings he had for going on his father’s ship, after being told not to. One day he went aboard with his brother and they locked the ship’s crew in one of the cabins and cast off in an attempt to sail the ship, but, unfortunately it resulted in his brother falling over the side. Luckily after he went under for the second time he was seen by a fisherman and pulled out just in time. Continue reading Down Rye Way – April 1966 – Robert Bayley

Scouting in Rye

The 1st Rye Troop of Scouts ‘Captain Cory’s Own’ proudly held the official opening of their new Headquarters recently. Over 200 people, including the Mayor and Mayoress of Rye, Alderman and Mrs. W. J. Hacking, were present as Father Richard, the Group Scoutmaster, handed the key to County Commissioner, Continue reading Scouting in Rye

Rye Firemen Go Over to Compressed Air

After Exhaustive Tests Rye Firemen go over to compressed air

East Sussex, like many of the Local Authority Fire Brigades throughout the Country, have found it necessary to replace their breathing apparatus equipment. After exhaustive tests and experiments with different types, it was decided to equip the fire appliances with compressed air sets and take out of service the ‘Salvus’ and ‘Proto’ oxygen sets. Continue reading Rye Firemen Go Over to Compressed Air

Fatal Car Crash 1905

Crash It’s the same old story

With the New Year comes the usual warnings from the various motoring organisations in the Country to take special care when driving. The reasons given for the vast number of road accidents that happen at this time of the year are many and varied—the main ones being ice, fog and drink. So much emphasis is put on road accidents being a modern day phenomena it is difficult to believe that even as far back as the early nineteen hundreds Rye had its fair share of traffic accidents.

We do not know for sure when the first motor car graced the streets of Rye but a tale from that far off time illustrates the interest that the local people were taking in the development of the petrol engine.

A certain young man entered the barbers shop that used to be at 14 Cinque Ports Street, and in an excited voice exclaimed “There is a horseless carriage outside the Crown.” A great rush for the door took place, and the entire saloon was emptied, save for the barber and the young man. The excited throng raced round the corner to the Crown Hotel, only to find a small pedlar’s cart with a mule harnessed

The First Car Smash in Rye?

First Car Crash in Rye

The first motor accident of any consequence in Rye was on 21 March, 1905. A nearly new Panhard 7 h.p. French motor car careered out of control down Rye Hill, crashing into the paling fence and eventually coming to rest on the pavement in a very sad state indeed, a complete wreck— fortunately no one was seriously hurt. (This was published in the January 1966 issue of “Rye’s Own” – New facts about the accident soon emerged and we learned that Captain Oaks was killed in the crash) The photo­graph of this incident gives some idea of the speed at which the car must have been travelling. Note the solid tyres, one of which has been torn from the rim.

Motor Car in The Strand

Sunbeam After Dip in The Strand


The other pictures are of an accident that has been repeated more than once since. A 1904 four cylinder Sunbeam ran into the channel at the Strand on the night of 24 August, 1906. Great effort was made to retrieve the wreck from the Channel and the other photograph shows the state of the car when it was eventually towed out the following day.

These are but two mishaps of the time, no doubt there are many others that have gone unrecorded or forgotten.

Motoring in those days was a far more exhilarating and adventurous affair than it is in these modern times. The driver really had to dress up for the occasion—a proper motoring jacket and of course the inevitable pair of goggles. The lady of his choice also had to take proper precautions. The enormous hats with ostrich feathers and all the trimmings of that age of fashion had to be tied with a gay scarf securely knotted under the chin.

No Parking

A modern day accident in Landgate. In a no waiting area too

A days motoring was a very special occasion, with the wind whipping in the faces of the occupants and more often than not, the excercise of pushing on the very steep hills. Garages were very few and far between and journeys had to be planned carefully in advance and there was always the risk that the joy ride would end by walking home, this was not always the case though, as the owners of these temperamental machines were all good mechanics— they had to be, even to start them.





First Stone is Layed

Badger Gate Project is Under Way

On 6th October an important event took place on Mason Field at Ferry Road. The foundation stone for the new block of flats being built for the old people of the town was laid by Mrs. H. J. Wood, wife of the late Mr. H. J. Wood our Town Clerk for nine years. Continue reading First Stone is Layed

Rye Girl in Beauty Final

 Sandra is off to Minehead for the Final

On the 15th October local girl Sandra Kewell of Lea Avenue, a pretty seventeen years old, lined up before the judges at the area final of the Butlin’s Princess Competition held at the holiday camp Minehead in Somerset. Continue reading Rye Girl in Beauty Final